Monday, April 25, 2016

White Fences Quilt


I started this quilt in 2012, the same year I started quilting. I sketched it out all cute on a sheet of graph paper.  I still remember waiting in line at my local quilt shop with the two bolts. I cut out about half the quilt. I even started sewing.

I had some notion of this quilt being inspired by those beautiful horse fences you see in Kentucky, I think.



Then I got distracted by something shiny.

The pieces sat in my work in progress box. Every time I saw them I thought about getting back to that quilt.

The years past, so much changed. I made lots of quilts. We grew up a lot. I looked at this quilt in my sewing room and thought about finishing it. I think we all have seasons in our lives where we look back and realize that we passed some developmental stage during that time. Between 26 and 30 I feel like I became an adult. Not in the, now I can pay my bills kind of way, or even, the I can't be goofy and have fun kind of way. I mean my priorities shifted and my outlook changed. I was looking for a place in the world, I stopped waiting for "real" life to happen and started living my life.



That whole time I would occasionally look at the pieces of this quilt up and think, I will finish this someday, not now.

Then, in my 30th year,  everything changed again. We bought a house. We moved to another town. We reached another life milestone.



New years eve of this year, I was cleaning my new sewing room in my new, much loved house (actually it is a really old house) and I saw the pieces of this quilt and I knew it was time to finish it.

I finished it that night while drinking champagne (no joke).



I quilted it the next day.

It was time finish this quilt. I just didn't know that I was waiting until I was home.



Quilt Stats:
Name: White Fences
Size: 67" x 68"
Pattern: Designed by a 2012 version of me
Quilting: Organic grid with Aurifil thread
Finished: January 2016

5 comments:

  1. What a great finish, I feel inspired to pull out a UFO and work on it. Congratulations on your house! I like your porch, we just painted our house the same colors, white base with the blue as our trim.
    ~Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt! And journey it's gone through. I'm getting to that "adult" phase now... a little scary, but definitely easier when you think of it in quilt form. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt design, adore the colour but my giddy aunt, that seat/swing and lovely well walked verandah are all just perfect. Super old houses have so much character, like quilts they tell a story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visually striking quilt and a great blog post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! My first visit to your blog... and I love this post! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for sending me a message. I try to respond to every single comment I get, but sometimes it takes me a bit when life gets crazy. I see them right away and I love you all.